Central California Surgery
Bariatric Surgeons located in Modesto, CA & Stockton, CA
At Central California Surgery, the team of doctors are accomplished in both general and bariatric surgery. They have had extensive experience in treating hernias, a relatively common complication of the stomach and intestine. If you are experiencing symptoms of a hernia, contact their practices in Modesto and Stockton, California, serving Modesto, Stockton, Fresno, CA, and the surrounding areas, to receive proper treatment immediately.
Hernia Q & A
What is a hernia?
A hernia is the result of an organ or fatty tissue squeezing through a weak spot in a surrounding muscle or connective tissue (i.e., fascia). There are several areas of the body that a hernia can occur, leading to many different types. Some of the most common are:
- Inguinal hernia: Occurs at the inner groin and more commonly affects men
- Incisional hernia: Results from an incision and commonly occurs in elderly or overweight patients who are inactive after abdominal surgery
- Femoral hernia: Occurs at the outer groin and are common in women, in particular in obese and pregnant women
- Umbilical hernia: Refers to a hernia of the belly button that are common in newborn babies, obese women, or women who have had many children
- Hiatal hernia: Occurs at the upper stomach as it squeezes through the hiatus
What causes hernias?
All hernias are ultimately caused by pressure on an opening or weakness of a muscle or fascia. The pressure pushes against the organ or tissue, or through the opening or weak spot. Any activity that increases pressure on the abdomen can induce a hernia, such as:
- Lifting heavy objects without stabilizing the abdominal muscles
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Persistent coughing or sneezing
Other non-pressure related risks of weakened muscles include smoking, obesity, and poor nutrition.
How do I know if I have a hernia?
If you have a hernia, you will experience and notice certain symptoms. The most common sign will be a lump or bulge in the affected area. Symptoms of an inguinal hernia include:
- Pain or discomfort in the affected area: Especially when bending over, coughing, or lifting
- Weakness, pressure, or a heavy feeling in the abdomen
- Burning, aching, or gurgling at the site of the bulge or lump
Symptoms of a hiatal hernia include:
- Acid reflux
- Chest pain
- Difficulty swallowing
See your doctor immediately if you’re experiencing these symptoms.
What are treatment options for a hernia?
As the severity of hernias vary, so do treatment options. Your doctor’s assessment for treatment methods will include:
- Lifestyle changes: Mainly dietary changes
- Surgery in severe cases: Or if all other methods have been unsuccessful
Central California Surgery accepts all major insurances. Please contact the office for additional detail regarding insurance.
Words from our patients
"I recommend this to anyone who is overweight to regain their life back. Best decision I ever made regarding my health."
"Thank you to Dr. Coates you gave me a new life and a fresh new start. And for that I will be forever grateful!!!"
"Central California bariatric surgery was wonderful. I have already lost 16 pounds, and it's only been a few days."
"Awesome! Very professional while giving you the best care and listening to your concerns! Great staff!"